How to Care for Yourself
What to Do After an Accident
- Do. Call 911 and get medical attention. Get help to those who need it. Because your adrenaline is flowing, you may not realize you are injured. For your own health and safety, get a medical checkup. A medical checkup will help to connect the injury to the accident. If you delay getting medical treatment, you could hurt yourself physically and you could hurt your chances for adequate compensation.
- Do. Report the accident to authorities within 24 hours or as soon as reasonably practical. This is especially important in uninsured motorist claims. If you do not report within 24 hours, the delay could adversely impact your claim for insurance benefits.
- Do. Write down all relevant details that you can about the accident. Take down names and insurance information, along with license plate numbers, the types of vehicles involved, and police information.
- Do. Take pictures. If possible, take pictures of any unsafe conditions which contributed to the accident and of any property damage and bodily injury.
- Do. Report the accident to your insurance company. You are obligated to report the accident to your insurance company in order to get coverage.
What NOT to Do After an Accident
- Do not. Do not speak to the other side’s insurance company until you’ve spoken with legal counsel and you understand your rights. You are not obligated to speak to the other side’s insurance company.
- Do not. Get legal advice before you sign anything from your own insurance company. And be sure not to sign any documents from the other side’s insurance company until you’ve spoken with a lawyer.
- Do not. Do not make decisions under pressure. In fact, that’s on our own list: We do not pressure clients into doing something they’re not ready to do. There are time limits that could prevent you from filing a lawsuit if you wait too long. But, generally speaking, decisions made under pressure might not be in your best interest.
Do Contact Us for a Free Consultation
Call our attorneys if you’re ready to discuss your options after an accident. Call 212-227-6260 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.