Keeping People Safe Throughout The U.S.
There are many federal agencies devoted to promoting personal and public safety, but individuals are often unaware of the resources that exist to help them stay safe. The purpose of this Web page is to introduce New Yorkers and people throughout the region to national organizations that disseminate tips, data and instructions about safety.
Having this information will not only keep people safer, but will also give them the tools they need when they see unsafe conditions anywhere. They can determine whether the unsafe product, medication, roadway or other item should be reported. This can often start the process of remediation or repair.
Government Safety Agencies
The federal agencies listed below are just a sample of the organizations that exist to protect people. For additional information, follow the links to the organization’s website.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration – this federal agency issues and enforces regulations regarding workplace safety.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – this agency develops laws and enforces compliance with clean air, water and land regulations.
- U.S. Department of Transportation – this agency is responsible for highway safety and coordinates with a wide variety of other agencies such as the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Federal Transit Administration.
- U.S. Coast Guard Boating Safety Center – provides information about staying safe on the water
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – responsible for protecting the health of all Americans, this agency oversees the operations of the Food and Drug Administration as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) – this regulatory agency protects the public against injuries and deaths associated with consumer products.
Nongovernmental Safety Organizations
- Home Safety Council – an organization dedicated to preventing home-related injuries
- National Safety Council – although not a federal agency, this organization offers information about other private and government agencies and links to reports on specific safety topics.
- Public Citizen – a consumer advocacy organization that lobbies and advocates in the areas of energy policy, trade policy, finance reforms, consumer protection, medical malpractice and public health
- Safe Kids USA – its slogan: Preventing injuries at school, at play and on the way
Additionally, our law firm is dedicated to protecting individual safety through education and legal action. If you have been injured because of a safety violation, contact Kahn Gordon Timko & Rodriques at 212-227-6260.