New York hotels welcome millions of guests every year. Offering popular amenities like spas, workout facilities and swimming pools, part of the appeal of staying at a hotel is that families can come together and enjoy various activities together. A number of people’s hotel stays were dramatically affected recently when an electrical issue in a swimming pool resulted in one man’s death and risked the lives of many. Now, the family of the fatality victim is aggressively pursuing a personal injury case against those accused of causing the incident.
Following the fatal incident, multiple Texas departments conducted an investigation and determined that faulty lighting installed in the Hilton Houston Westchase Hotel pool contributed to an electrocution incident. Authorities also determined that the company hired to install the lighting and repair the pool was not permitted to do so by the city. Apparently, a circuit interrupter needed to instantly cut off electricity was not installed with the pool light wiring. Furthermore, the pool was not bonded correctly.
The company hired to make the pool repairs is accused of causing the fatal August incident, when several people were shocked while swimming. The incident allegedly occurred when the pool lighting malfunctioned, electrocuting swimmers. The fatality victim reportedly died after saving the life of a child in the deep end of the pool. It was later ruled that the 27-year-old man died from electrocution.
Since the incident, law enforcement has charged two electricians with the company with criminally negligent homicide for allegedly performing inadequate work that resulted in death. Similarly, the family of the victim has filed a premises liability suit against the hotel, and is asking for more than $1 million in damages.
The hotel is reportedly cooperating with authorities. Though, the two criminal suspects had yet to be apprehended.
Source: chron.com, “Electricians charged in electrocution of man at Houston pool,” Nov. 8, 2013